Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Here is part 2 of a list of all the restaurants and bars I know of on Twitter for you (this list does not contain major chain restaurants)- some are very active with their tweets while others are not…
- Birches: @Birches
- Howl at the Moon: @howlbaltimore
- Joe Squared: @joesquared
- J. Paul's: @jpauls_harbor
- Kooper's Tavern: @KoopersTavern @BRGRwagon
- Little Havana: @LittleHavana
- Ledo Pizza FedHill: @ LedoFedHill
- Luckie's Tavern: @LuckiesTavern
- Lebanese Taverna: @LebaneseTaverna
- Mad River: @MadRiverBalt
- MaGerks Pub: @MAGERKSPUB
- Mahaffeys Pub: @MahaffeysPub
- Mex: @MexBaltimore
- Miltons Grill: @MiltonsGrill
- Miss Irene's: @MissIrenes
- Miss Shirley's Cafe: @missshirleys
- Mustang Alley's: @MustangAlleys
- Oceanaire: @oceanaire_balt
- Puffs and Pastries: @puffs_pastries
To see part 1 click here and if you like what you read do me a favor and vote for my blog Adventures in Baltimore Restaurants for a Baltimore Sun Mobbie
Don't forget to check back for the next part of the Twitter list- To read more Restaurant 101 click here
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Baltimore magazine has compiled the city’s top locations for breakfast and brunch. The October cover story, Rise and Dine is filled with 41 Baltimore breakfast and brunch eateries.
Baltimore magazine shares depictions of mouth-watering breakfasts and freshly brewed coffees that would trump cold cereal any day of the week. From fancy, elegant dining experiences to casual, relaxed breakfast encounters, there is something for everyone.
To find out more click here
Monday, September 28, 2009
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month so I am passing on a great event that was sent to me...
For one night only, Thursday, October 8, Dr. Dean Kane, the well-renowned plastic surgeon, will be putting down his scalpel and picking up a chefs knife. Under the guidance of Sotto Sopra’s executive chef, Bill Crouse, Dr. Kane will be preparing a five course gourmet Italian dinner (menu below) of which a portion of the proceeds will go to the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. It is an evening of seasonal dishes, wine selections from The Wine Merchant and camaraderie as guests dine at communal tables in Sotto Sopra’s beautiful 19th century building located at 405 N. Charles Street. The evening’s festivities kick off at 6:30 p.m. with entertainment by Tony Sciuto throughout the evening.
Along with sharing his culinary talent, Dr. Kane will be selling a selection of his original pop photo art with 100% of the proceeds going to this worthy cause. Cost per person is $70, which includes the five course dinner, wine and entertainment.* Advanced reservations are required; call Sotto Sopra Restaurant at 410 625 0534.
To see the menu clcik here
Sunday, September 27, 2009
I am cleaning out my inbox...
I have a lot going on over the next month so I want to give away what I won't use... so enter for a chance to win a restaurant.com certificate!
They all expire in October so if you win you have to use them soon. Please make sure to read the details and rules.
Check out my past contests here
A new week has begun. The weather is starting to change and a new season is upon us. That means seasonal menus are changing. Check out what has gone on this past week in the Baltimore restaurant scene:
- Check who won the Poll: Where is your favorite Mexican restaurant in the Baltimore area?
- Did you help the Baltimore Great American Dine Out- end childhood hunger?
- Are you joining me for the Taste Don Roberto Tequila paired with hors d’oeuvres?
- Did you check out the New restaurants in the Baltimore area?
- Did you use the Restaurant 101: Baltimore restaurants on Twitter part 1?
- Did you try to order any of the Secret menu items at fast food restaurants?
- Today is the last day to Check out some food & eats at the Baltimore Book Festival
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Dangerously Delicious Pies
I am working the Baltimore City Public Schools booth at the Baltimore Book Festival and Friday afternoon I took a quick walk around the festival to check out the food and many eats that could be found. Today I plan on sampling some since I will be working the booth again (stop by with your kids and make a book mark).
Check out the slide show below and see some of the food booths I found tempting! Don’t forget to also stop by the Food for Thought stage and see what yummy things are going on there! Yesterday I caught a quick glimpse of “Lunch with Julia - have lunch with Baltimore's best chefs while they demo their favorite Julia Child recipe!” I saw Dara Bunjon, Jesse Sandlin, Sandy Lawler and William McKinley.
Hope to see you there! Click here to see pictures of the food I found
Friday, September 25, 2009
There is a buzz going around about “secret menu items” at fast food restaurants. Now I really don’t know if any of this is really true or not because I haven’t tried it out. If you try it out and have success let me know.
Secret Menu Items
- Wendy’s- Grand Slam 4 ¼ lb burgers on a bun
- Chipolte- proclaims on its web site: "Just ask. You choose exactly what you want ... whatever you'd like." So is the menu just a suggestion board as long as what you want utilizes the ingredients they have behind the counter?
- To read more click here
Thursday, September 24, 2009
With the rage of Twitter I thought I would make a list of all the restaurants and bars I knew of on Twitter for you (this list does not contain major chain restaurants)- some are very active with their tweets while others are not…
- Alexander's Tavern: @AlexandersFells
- Alonso's/Loco Hombre: @AlonsosLoco
- Andy Nelsons: @AndyNelsons
- Austin Grill: @Austin_Grill
- Bad Decisions: @bad_decisions
- Blue Agave: @blueagavebalto
- Blue Hill Tavern: @bluehilltavern
- Brewer's Art: @brewersart
- Brunie's Bakery: @bruniesbakery
- Cafe Hon: @cafehon
- Caesar's Den: @CaesarsDen
- Captain larrys: @captainlarrys
- Chocolatea Cafe: @chocolateacafe
- Crossroads: @crossroadsdine
- Don't Know Tavern: @DontKnowTavern
- Eden's Lounge: @EdensLounge
- ESPN Zone: @ESPNZoneBalt
- Fletcher's: @fletchersbmore
- Grill Art Café: @CafeGrillart
Don't forget to check back for the next part of the Twitter list- To read more Restaurant 101 click here
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Check out some of the New "Up & Coming" restaurants in the Baltimore area:
- The Hollywood Diner at 400 E. Saratoga St. The menu features gourmet coffee drinks, artisan sandwiches, fresh salads, and hand ground burgers.
- The Reserve at 1542 Light St. has 16 beers on tap and serves American Asain fusion
- Turps Sports Bar and Restaurant at 1317 N. Charles St. is Mount Vernon's newest and only sports bar, offers pub-style munchies and comfort food. (Mondays- $.30 a wing, Tuesdays ½ price pizza on Tuesdays and Wednesdays ½ price 10oz burgers)
- All Nations Restaurant is opening October at 7 E. Lexington St. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They will offer pizza, subs, sandwiches, pasta, and salad for eat in, carry-out or delivery.
- All Star's Bar and Grill will be opening atop the "Upper Deck" at 34 S. Eutaw St. This sports bar will be open 7 days a week, and will serve pub fare and show case live bands.
- Esquire Pub will be opening in October at the new Quality Inn at 110 St. Paul St. They will offer light pub fare and will also be available for private events.
- Miguel's will be opening this fall in the Silo Point Condominiums (1200 Steuart St.) They will offer of Spanish-style tapas.
- Tapas Adela will open this fall at 814 S. Broadway. They will offer Spanish tapas with a modern twist.
To read more about New Places in Baltimore click here
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Leroy Neiman’s favorite the “First-Course Lamb Chops”
Passing on this event I was invited to and will be attending...
Be among the first to taste the new Don Roberto tequila at Morton’s The Steakhouse in Baltimore’s “Don Roberto Tequila Experience” served along with Morton’s signature hors d’oeuvres on Friday, October 9, 6 – 8 pm. Cost to attend is $50 per person, inclusive of tax and gratuity. For reservations, call 410-547-8255.
This special event features three Don Roberto tequila cocktails, Lavender Roberto Margaritas, Lemongrass Palomas, and Classic Margaritas, featuring Tea Forte Cocktail Infusions. The cocktails are served with roma tomato crostini and lump crabmeat canapé.Additionally, Morton’s sliced tenderloin on crostini, broiled sea scallops wrapped in bacon with apricot chutney, petite lamb chops, potato skins, and Morton’s double chocolate mousse, are paired with Don Roberto Blanco, Repasado, and Anejo tequilas. This tasting portion of the evening is conducted by Tequila Ambassador, Mike Friedrich.
For more information click here
Check out my past reviews Morton’s The Steakhouse:
- Make your own Morton's The Steakhouse dishes at home
- Morton's The Steakhouse partnership with Feeding America and launch of new cookbook
Monday, September 21, 2009
Another great cause that the Baltimore area is participating in so I am passing on this press release...
Share Our Strength’s Great American Dine Out®, is a week-long national restaurant event in cities across the United States. From September 20-26, 2009, thousands of restaurants will join together to raise funds to help end childhood hunger in America.
Each year, more than 12 million children in America (one of every six) worry about when their next meal will come. Share Our Strength is the leading organization working to end childhood hunger in America.
The first Great American Dine Out in 2008 raised more than half a million dollars. 4,000 restaurants participated, from independent and family-owned establishments to large chains and restaurant groups. Donations of restaurant sales for the week, direct donations from dining patrons and restaurant suppliers, plus money raised through promotions, helped to make the program a success. This year, restaurants have the flexibility to participate in a variety of new ways: some will donate a portion of sales for the week; others will promote a special menu item, a prix fix menu or will sell Share Our Strength promotional items to raise funds and encourage repeat business. To date, more than 1,200 restaurants have already signed up for the 2009 Great American Dine Out.
This year Food Network star Aaron McCargo, Jr. will serve as the spokesperson for the Great American Dine Out. The 2008 winner of “The Next Food Network Star” and host of his own Food Network show, Big Daddy’s House, Aaron enjoys family life as a loving husband and father to three children in Camden, N.J. With a wealth of restaurant and catering experience, Aaron also speaks to area youth about overcoming adversity to achieve personal goals. He was recently honored by the City of Camden, N.J. (where he was also born and raised) for his commitment to service and his amazing success in the food industry.
As a dedicated father and passionate foodie, I feel truly blessed to be a part of Share Our Strength’s Great American Dine Out. I hope that by sharing my love and knowledge of food, I can encourage families to participate in this worthwhile program to help end childhood hunger in America", said Aaron McCargo.
The Great American Dine Out is sponsored by Sysco, S.Pellegrino Sparkling Natural Mineral Water, Ecolab, the Food Network, USA Today and The National Restaurant Association.
To find a participating restaurant click here
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Comments by ZingerBug.com
This last week was a full week of divine food, kids and events so check it out:
- Bring the restaurant into your home- for the home enthusiast, Free Culinary Demonstrations
- The Wine Market 5 year anniversary Prix Fixe menu- special just for September
- Dining out for life- help those in need (what a great cause)
- Some Baltimore restaurants close their doors (check back this week for some new places in Baltimore that are opening and will be soon)
- Restaurants revamp kids menu and add kids eat free nights
- If you are always looking to learn about food and beer pairings check out this event: Indian food & Clipper City Beer pairing
- An introduction to the menu and chef at alizée in Baltimore
Vote in my poll: Where is your favorite Mexican restaurant in the Baltimore area?
Help me out...
Friday, September 18, 2009
I was invited to a press party that introduced alizée’s new executive chef Christian deLutis. Executive Chef Christian’s formula is “A classic balance of signature, modern American cuisine with a French accent.”
We were able to mingle among the guest and with Chef Christian himself (I was surprised to learn that we both have migrated from PA), while sampling some great items from the menu and drinks from the bar. Everything was so divine and the flavors molded together very well.
To see what we sampled and the pictures click here
Thursday, September 17, 2009
If you are always looking to learn about food and beer pairings check out this event:
Indian Food & Clipper City Beer Pairing with Hugh Sisson
Saturday, October 3, 2-6pm.
1429 Resiterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
Food supplied by Famous Pavan Foods of Harford Road.
(8904 Harford Road, Baltimore, MD 21237. 410-663-3201)
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Photo: Lemmo Photography
Restaurants are responding to a decline in restaurant visits among groups with kids with revamped kids' menus, healthier food and kids-eat-free nights. These changes are hard to do well because restaurants must appeal to children’s’ palates while addressing parents' health concerns. This summer, P.F. Chang's China Bistro and The Cheesecake Factory added their first-ever kids' menus.Many child-friendly fast-food and family-oriented chains are also changing the usual by offering healthier dishes and meals for children.
To learn about what is on these new menus and kids-eat-free nights click here
The American Independent Business Alliance estimates that from each dollar spent at a local independent store, three or more times as much typically goes back into the local economy, compared to a dollar spent at a national chain business.
Scentsy’s Contribute 2009 challenges both the company’s 35,000+ independent consultants as well as the general public to create at least a $5 million economic boost in communities around the country – asking individuals to pledge to spend $50 at a local small business on or around October 12, 2009.
I know I will do my part how about you? Pick your favorite local restaurant and join in!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
On September 17, 2009 people in the Baltimore area are invited to participate in one of the most rewarding dining experiences of the year.
Moveable Feast's Dining Out for Life event works to raise tens of thousands of dollars with the help of community-minded restaurants, sponsors, and those who dine out with their families and friends that day to help our neighbors in need.
Simply eat out at one of the participating restaurants and at least 20 percent of proceeds that day will go to help feed hundreds of men, women, and children in our community living with HIV/AIDS, cancer and other life-challenging conditions.
For a complete listing of Participating Restaurants click here
Just in case you haven't heard some local Baltimore restaurant have closed their doors:
- Blue Sea Grill
- Babalu Grill
- Brass Elephant
- Jordan's Steakhouse in Ellicott City
- Blue Grotto (Towson)
- Olive & Sesame II (Towson)
- Paolo's Ristorante (Towson)
To read some more about closed restaurants click here
Monday, September 14, 2009
The Wine Market is celebrating their 5 year anniversary!
For the month of September, they will be offering a delicious 3 course Prix Fixe menu for only $25! Click here to see the menu
They’re pleased to offer hour-long technique classes at local Williams-Sonoma store. Presented free of charge, each
class is dedicated to a specific topic and led by a culinary experts. Class size is limited so make reservations.
At select Williams-Sonoma stores, regularly scheduled demonstrations focus on seasonal foods and entertaining. All are led by culinary experts and offered at no charge.
To see some of the things offered click here
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Well ladies and gentlemen today is the day- it is the season opener for the Ravens! So check out what happened Ravenstown this last week:
- The new rage of Food Trucks- warm welcome to Chowhound Burger Wagon
- Lebanese Taverna rolls back prices, plus Fattoush Salad recipe
- Free lunch for all Emergency Service Personnel Sept. 11th
- IHOP's gone totally NFL- check out the specials
- Blue Agave has some specials for all those Ravens fans
- McDonald's offers a FREE ride on the Light Rail to Ravens game and a FREE burger
- Restaurants are hoping to score some field goals with some great football specials
If you know of any other great places for football and food leave a comment below! I will see you at the game today!
Friday, September 11, 2009
Restaurants are hoping to score some field goals with some great football specials…
The professional football season kicks off Thursday with the NFL’s 90th season opener- Pittsburgh Steelers against the Tennessee Titans- and of course the Ravens on Sunday!!!!!!
IHOP, T.G.I. Friday’s, Chick-fil-A and KFC are among the restaurants offering football-inspired sdeals.
To find out about these specials click here
There’s an old saying that warns, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch.” McDonald’s begs to differ. The McDonald’s Family Restaurants of Greater Baltimore will partner with The Maryland Transit Authority as the company launches the first-ever, national commuter program, “Angus Try Free, Ride Free.”
As part of the “Angus Try Free, Ride Free” commuter program taking place throughout September, McDonald’s street teams are taking to busy, metropolitan cities to offer commuters a pleasant transit experience, along with a coupon for a complimentary Angus Third Pounder burger.
For more details click here
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Join Blue Agave on Game Day for ALL DAY happy hour drink specials in the bar and dining room.
Stay and watch the game with them- Ravens wine they pour!
You can also get 10% regularly priced entrees when your present your game ticket/stub (some restriction apply)
BLUE AGAVE RESTAURANT Y TEQUILERIA
Regional Mexican Cuisine
Located in the Historic McHenry Theater of Federal Hill
1032 Light Street
“IHOP’s Gone Totally NFL” promotion runs through Oct. 25. During that time, at participating IHOPs, fans can enjoy these new menu items and other $4.99 specials:
- AFC and NFL Stuffed French Toast
- AFC and NFC Banana Blitz
- MVP Quarterback Scramble
- Veteran Quarterback Scramble
- Rookie Quarterback Scramble
- Draft Pick Quarterback Scramble
(AFC versions have strawberries; NFC versions have blueberries)
Fans can visit www.ihop.com/nfl for a chance to win IHOP gift cards and NFLShop.com gift cards.
Click here to check out the IHOP football videos!
For more info: you can subscribe to email notices, email me at AIBR.Blog@gmail.com, find me on Facebook or follow me on twitter @BmoreRestaurant- check out my review map or my review list
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
On September 11th, Mothers Federal Hill Grille would like to honor all of the hard working and dedicated Emergency Service Personnel with a FREE LUNCH. Firefighters, Police, EMT's/Paramedics, etc are all invited! If you work the lunch shift then they are offering 1/2 priced dinner and drinks. They want to thank you for risking your lives for us! (Please bring proper ID for discount)
You can RSVP on their Facebook event page
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Lebanese Taverna is taking you back to the 70's
Join them every Monday in September as they roll back to their original 1979 prices.
They were also featured in Shape Magazine for the Restaurant Road Test Article- check out the Fattoush Salad recipe here
Monday, September 07, 2009
So what is your take on Food Trucks? I have never eaten from one in the Baltimore area but have hit them in some other big cities in my travels. I can't wait to try a Charm City Food Truck.
Food trucks also have become the rave on Twitter because it is a practical purpose of telling people where they are. To find out about some local Food Trucks click here
Sunday, September 06, 2009
Well it is officially September and school has started. Summer had so much to offer, I just hope so does Fall. Check out what happened in the Baltimore Restaurant Scene this last week:
- Matt is the winner of the Old Bay's 70th anniversary giveaway
- Prime Rib receives top honors for martinis and champagne to infused vodka and wine.
- The New York Yankees play fantasy football at the ESPN Zone Baltimore
- Maryland State Fair food tour plus see how well you score on State Fair trivia
- B&O American Brasserie is Baltimore's new jewel
- Nickelodeon's Parents' Picks Awards Baltimore food winners
- Celebrate Labor Day with FREE Chick-fil-A Original Chicken Sandwich
- Domino's to give gift cards to folks 9 or 99
- Local Priest to challenge Food TV Chef on Throwdown
Friday, September 04, 2009
I was watching the news on WBAL and saw this....
Food Network Chef Bobby Flay will go head to head in a cooking challenge with a local priest. Father Leo has his own cookbook and will be featured in an upcoming episode of "Throwdown" with Flay.
A premiere showing will be held Da Mimmo's parking lot Wednesday, September 9, 2009. If you come down Wednesday night certain restaurants are offering 10% off. Be sure to tune in to Food Network on September 9th at 9pm to see Fr. Leo take on Iron Chef Bobby Flay in a Steak Fajita matchup! Check out the video.For more info: you can subscribe to email notices, email me at AIBR.Blog@gmail.com, find me on Facebook or follow me on twitter @BmoreRestaurant- check out my review map or my review list
I was reading on NRN that....
Do you or some one you know turn 9 or 99 on 9/9/09?The first 99 people who are turning either 9 or 99 on Sept. 9, 2009 and who prove it by e-mailing a copy of their birth certificate or driver’s license along with their address and phone number
To find out more click here
Thursday, September 03, 2009
Are you ready for some football?
Get a FREE Chick-fil-A Original Chicken Sandwich this Labor Day when you wear any sports team logo to Chick-fil-A.