The Mason Dixon Master Chef Tournament, which pits 16 top chef teams one-on-one in a single-elimination culinary competition began June 15th. This year there are great returning chef competitors from years past, new competitors who are striving for the title and even a teacher versus student pair.
This multi-week event is a single-elimination tournament designed to showcase some of the area's finest executive chefs and restaurants. Guests attending this exciting event will be more than just spectators, as they enjoy the unique experience of witnessing two spectacular area chefs battle it out in the prep kitchen right on the main floor. Each evening two chef teams go head-to-head to prepare an appetizer, entrée and dessert for each of three expert judges, as well as amuse bouche portions of their entrees for up to 30 audience member judges. Their creations are scored on creativity, presentation and taste, and only one chef advances to the next round. At the end of this tournament only one of the 16 competing chefs will emerge as THE Mason Dixon Master Chef!
Competition Dates (5:30pm – 9:00pm):
- June 15 - Battle Backyard BBQ paired Jeff Keeney of Tark’s Grill versus Niko Negas of Roasthouse Pub – Winner was Jeff
- June 16 - Battle Backyard BBQ paired Bill Kelley of Renditions Golf versus Greg Mason of The White Oak Tavern – winner Bill Kelley
- June 22 – Battle Breakfast paired Andrew Maggitti of Chartwell Country Club versus Lanydrek Christ Pandzou of Colony South Hotel – winner Lanydrek Christ Pandzou
- June 23 - Battle Breakfast paired Dana Herbert of Desserts by Dana versus Christopher Vocci of Alexandra’s at Turf Valley – winner Christopher Vocci
- June 29 - Battle Chocolate pairing Jonathan Hicks of Nickel Taphouse versus Jirat Suphrom-In of My Thai
- June 30 - Battle Chocolate pairing Rick Koplau of Duke’s Grocery versus Keith Philavanh of Basta Pasta
- July 13 – Battle Comfort Food pairing Melissa Fordham of Personal Chef Services versus Willbur Cox, Jr. or Bistro Rx
- July 14 - Battle Comfort Food pairing Sean Praglowski of Luckie’s Tavern versus Cole D. Whaley of The Café Rue
- July 20 – Battle Aphrodisiac pairing Jeff Keeny of Tark’s Grill versus Bill Kelley of Renditions Golf
- July 21 - Battle Aphrodisiac pairing Lanydrek Christ Pandzou of Colony South Hotel versus Christopher Vocci of Alexandra’s at Turf Valley
- July 27 and 28 – Battle Street Food
- August 10 and 11 – Battle New Orleans vs. Chesapeake
- August16 - Battle Avant Garde
Each battle of the tournament has featured sponsors and featured products that the Chefs will use.
- 5:30 p.m. – Happy Hour with Complementary Hors d’oeurves and Wine Tasting by Boordy Vineyards, plus Drink Specials
- 6:30 p.m. – Cold Prep Begins for the Competition
- 7:00 p.m. – Chef Competition
- 8:00 p.m. – Judging Begins, Complementary Dessert and Coffee Served
Tickets for all dates of this summer-long single-elimination chef competition are available for purchase at: http://www.masondixonmasterchef.com. Tickets for most matches are $25 for general admission and $45 for judging experience (including all taxes).
With your ticket you can enjoy complementary wine tasting by local winery Boordy Vineyards (6:00-7:00pm), Happy Hour specials (5:30 - 7:00pm) and complementary dessert bar and coffee each evening. Additional food items available for purchase each evening from a specially prepared menu from Alizée American Bistro.
Happy Hour Specials
- $2 Drafts
- $3 Domestic Bottles
- $4 Premium Bottles
- $5 Rail Drinks
- $5 Wine by the Glass
- $7 House Martinis
- Select Appetizers just $6 each
All competitions will be held at the Inn at the Colonnade Baltimore, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel (www.colonnadebaltimore.com/).
10% of the net proceeds of each ticket sold directly to Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland.
More information available at www.MasonDixonMasterChef.com, on Twitter @MDMasterChef, and Facebook at Mason Dixon Master Chef.